Is Airbnb Always A Good Platform For Property Rentals and To Book Your Stay?
It’s always been debated whether Airbnb is the best platform to book property rentals. For some people, it’s the best; for others, it’s the worst.
Depending on each individual’s experience, it’s different.
So in today’s blog, we’re going to explain all pros and cons of Airbnb, plus other questions with two-sided answers about the Airbnb platform that can help each of us decide whether it can be relied on or not.
What Are The Advantages Of Airbnb?
Airbnb is a popular platform for short-term rentals, and many people have had positive experiences using the platform.
Some advantages of using the platform include the following:
- Variety of accommodations: Airbnb offers a wide range of properties, including apartments, houses, and even unique spaces like treehouses and boats.
- Local experience: Staying in an Airbnb property allows you to live like a local and experience a neighbourhood in a way that a hotel stay may not allow.
- Cost-effective: Airbnb rentals can often be less expensive than traditional hotel stays.
- Personalised service: Many Airbnb hosts are happy to provide tips and recommendations for things to do and see in the area.
- Flexibility: You can easily change or cancel your booking with Airbnb.
- More space: Most of the rentals on Airbnb are entire homes or apartments, providing more space than a hotel room.
- Support to the local economy: By staying in an Airbnb, you support a local property owner and the local economy.
However, like any other platform, Airbnb also has its own drawbacks, and not everyone may have positive experiences or recommend it. Some of the reasons why people may not recommend Airbnb are listed in the below paragraph.
What Are The Disadvantages of Airbnb?
Some disadvantages of using Airbnb include the following:
- Lack of consistency: The quality and amenities of Airbnb rentals can vary significantly from one property to another. This can lead to disappointment if the property does not meet your expectations.
- Limited customer service: Airbnb does not have the same level of customer service as short term rental operators. For example, if there is a problem with your rental, it may take longer to resolve than if you were staying directly with a serviced accommodation provider.
- Safety and security concerns: Since Airbnb rentals are typically private homes, there is less oversight and regulation than staying with serviced accommodation providers. This can lead to safety and security concerns for guests.
- Limited amenities: Airbnb rentals may not have the same amenities as a property rentals operator, such as a virtual front desk, special requests, or regular housekeeping, as per the guest’s request.
- Legal issues: Some cities have laws restricting short-term rentals, and hosts may break the law by renting out their properties on Airbnb.
- Higher cleaning fees: Some hosts charge a high cleaning fee which can increase the overall cost of the stay.
- Possible issues with neighbours: Because the rentals are in residential areas, sometimes guests may get complaints from the neighbours about noise or parking.
- Lack of privacy: Some guests may feel uncomfortable sharing a space with the host or other guests.
Who is Airbnb Suitable For?
Airbnb is best for people looking for a more unique and personal travel experience. It is ideal for those looking for a cost-effective alternative to traditional hotel stays and those who want to live like a local and experience a neighbourhood in a way that a hotel stay may not allow.
It can also be a great fit for remote workers who travel and move between cities and countries. Read more about remote workers and short term rental connections.
Airbnb is also suitable for those looking for more space and privacy, as many of the rentals on the platform are entire homes or apartments.
It’s also suitable for people who want to explore different accommodations, such as treehouses, houseboats, and other unique spaces.
Additionally, it’s best for those looking for more flexibility in terms of booking and cancellation policies, as well as for those looking for a way to support local property owners and the local economy.
However, it’s not for everyone, for example, those looking for a more home-away-from-home experience with consistent amenities and 24-hour customer service or those with security and safety concerns.
Here at Luke Stays, we provide 100% protection for our guests and their bookings, leaving them feeling as if they’re in their homes and enjoying complete privacy alone or with their parties. Our guests can also register direct bookings with us at I-PRAC, International Accreditation for Short Term Rental Operators, providing trust, confidence, and payment protection.
Luke Stays also provides a FREE FEATURE on all direct bookings; Staycover. Staycover feature provides our guests with free complete protection guarantee where it puts them right where they belong: FIRST. To learn about our Staycover feature, visit our Staycover page on our website.
Can Airbnb Be Trusted As A Booking Platform?
Airbnb has taken steps to ensure that the properties listed on its platform are safe and trustworthy.
However, it’s important to remember that Airbnb is a marketplace where individuals can list their own properties for rent, and there is always a risk when booking accommodations through a third-party platform. Here are a few things you can do to ensure a safe and trustworthy booking on Airbnb:
- Read reviews: Before booking a property, read previous guests’ reviews to get an idea of what to expect.
- Verify the host: Make sure the host has a verified ID and check their profile to see if they have any past reviews and a good reputation on the platform.
- Check the listing details: Make sure the listing details match the actual property.
- Contact the host: If you have any questions or concerns about the property, contact the host and ask for more information.
- Use the platform’s features: Take advantage of the platform’s features, such as the messaging system, the calendar, and the booking process, to ensure that the property is available and that the host has accepted your booking request.
- Be aware of the local laws: Be mindful of the local laws and regulations regarding short-term rentals, and ensure that the property you’re renting complies with them.
By following these steps, you can increase your chances of having a safe and trustworthy booking on Airbnb. However, like any other platform, it’s important to remember that there is always a risk.
You should consider trusted and certified short term rental operators such as Luke Stays and book directly with them.
Does Airbnb Provide Protection For Guests?
Airbnb provides various forms of protection for guests to help ensure their safety and satisfaction when using the platform. Some of these protections include the following:
- Host Guarantee: Airbnb offers a Host Guarantee, which provides financial protection up to $1,000,000 for eligible property damage caused by a guest during a stay.
- Host Protection Insurance: Airbnb also offers Host Protection Insurance, which provides liability coverage for hosts in the event that a guest is injured during their stay.
- Verified ID: Airbnb verifies the identity of hosts and guests through government-issued ID and other verification methods to ensure that all parties on the platform are who they say they are.
- Review system: The review system allows guests and hosts to rate each other after a stay. This helps to build trust and accountability on the platform.
- 24/7 customer service: Airbnb provides 24/7 customer service support for guests to assist with any issues or questions that may arise during a stay.
- Fraud protection: Airbnb uses advanced technology and fraud detection tools to help protect guests from fraud and other types of scams.
- COVID-19 Enhanced Cleaning Protocol: Airbnb developed a cleaning protocol for hosts, including guidelines for cleaning and sanitising a space before and after guests check in.
It’s important to note that these protections are not absolute, and there may be some situations where they do not apply or can’t be used. Guests should always use their discretion and review the terms and conditions of the platform before booking a rental.
Would You Know If Airbnb Is Unreliable?
Airbnb is a platform that connects hosts and guests for short-term rentals, and it has taken steps to ensure that the properties listed on its platform are safe and trustworthy. However, it’s important to remember that Airbnb is a marketplace where individuals can list their own properties for rent, and there is always a risk when booking accommodations through a third-party platform.
Airbnb has implemented various forms of protection for guests, such as a Host Guarantee, which provides financial protection for eligible property damage caused by a guest during a stay, and a review system that allows guests and hosts to rate each other after a stay. Additionally, the platform has 24/7 customer service support for guests to assist with any issues or questions that may arise during a stay.
The Negative Side
However, despite these protections, there may still be instances where a guest has a negative experience with an Airbnb rental. Some of the common issues that guests may face include:
- Properties not matching the listing description
- Hosts not being responsive or accommodating the house rules
- Maintenance or cleanliness issues with the rental
- Safety concerns
Airbnb also charges you more for your rental property than renting it directly from a trusted short term rental operator. The reason why is that Airbnb charges both guests and hosts an OTA fee on every single booking made on the platform, resulting in guests paying more and hosts earning less.
That’s why we recommend booking directly with a trusted and certified short term rental operator like Luke Stays; less charges, more safety and security.
We also wrote some articles about how Airbnb and other booking platforms are taking away a lot of money from innocent guests blindly trusting such platforms and sometimes ending up losing their money with no actual or physical booking or a place to stay.
It’s important to always use your discretion and review the terms and conditions of the platform before booking a property rental. Additionally, reading reviews from previous guests, verifying the host’s ID, and checking the listing details can help ensure a safe and trustworthy booking on Airbnb.
Overall, whether or not to recommend Airbnb depends on the individual’s experiences and preferences. It’s essential to keep in mind that Airbnb has its own advantages and disadvantages that we listed in this blog, and it’s recommended to do your own research and consider property rentals from a trusted short term rental operator like Luke Stays.